Getting tactical in a crisis with Ubiquiti

Ubiquiti point to point link

We found ourselves let down by a carrier this week, nothing unusual there. I guess it’s excusable given the pandemic and engineers health concerns. The carrier was supposed to be moving a fibre Internet circuit for us as part of a customer’s office move, but cancelled last minute.

Not being easily beaten, I broke out a couple of Ubiquiti NS5-AC radios from stock to build a temporary link between the customer’s old and new offices, until the carrier can get somebody onsite. No extreme distances involved, just hopping about 50 meters across a car park.

It’s a long drive to site, so I decided to get the link pre-configured to make things quick and easy. Above is a snapshot of my testing in the garden, note my ad-hoc mounting on the umbrella pole. If you look closely the opposite side of the link is about 30M away, strapped to a tree with Velcro.

In terms of performance, the radio management reported over 600Mbps. Taking that with a large pinch of salt, I’m expecting to get about 200Mbps from these tomorrow which will more than cover the 50Mbps link I’m extending.

I did a quick iPerf3 test to a laptop at the remote end, which showed 94Mbps, I only realised later that my Mac’s USB-Ethernet dongle is 100Mbps (duh!). Still, I’m quite impressed with that!

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 11.2 MBytes 94.2 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 11.3 MBytes 94.5 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 11.3 MBytes 94.5 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 11.3 MBytes 94.4 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 11.3 MBytes 94.4 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 11.3 MBytes 94.4 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 6.00-6.00 sec 34.0 KBytes 94.6 Mbits/sec

I’ll report back with further testing results tomorrow..